You wisely chose professional teeth whitening, now how should you best proceed to maintain your bright new smile? Proper aftercare can extend the effects of your teeth whitening treatment for years. The following tips are recommended both immediately after teeth whitening, and on a long-term basis.
- Initially, it is recommended that you avoid any staining food or drinks for a minimum of 48 hours. Ideally, try to abstain from these offenders for a full seven days to give your teeth ample time to rehydrate. During whitening, enamel pores may open so rehydration is necessary for them to close and be less susceptible to staining. Consuming “white” foods and clear beverages for this period is the safest practice.
- Drink through a straw whenever possible to reduce the contact of staining beverages with your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth and teeth with water as soon as possible after ingesting any food or drinks which might cause staining.
- Try to refrain from smoking for at least 12 to 24 hours. Cigarettes contain many ingredients that cause tooth discoloration.
- Ladies should consider switching to smudge-proof lipstick. Certain types of lipstick and glosses contain pigment that can stick to and stain teeth over time.
- Do not use home whitening kits for at least a month or more after treatment. If you do eventually decide to use one, proceed carefully as they can weaken and over-whiten teeth.
- Brush with a good whitening toothpaste and floss regularly to avoid tartar build-up that can cause decay and discoloration. Proper oral hygiene and regular cleaning with your dental professional can keep your teeth whiter for years to come.
Following these simple but effective recommendations can help you protect the investment you have made in a whiter, more vibrant smile.